Saturday 22 March 2014

A milestone! A project finished, and a new start...


Well, I've actually finished something, for once, as you can see. That's a whole army's worth of painted, vintage Citadel Dark Elves up there.

Want the meet the gang? Read on...




This is the first army I've actually finished (converted, painted and based) in over 20 years. Usually with these things I get bored, veer off onto other projects and leave things unfinished, and over more recent years I've tended to prefer to work on small, skirmish level forces. However, having just lost my job at Foundry (My advice: Don't trust a word they say), I was determined to actually get something productive done and actually finish a damn army for once.

Though I doubt the people at the Job Centre would class this as productive...

So, anyway, on to the army. I've not gone and given them any character names yet, or worked out exact points values, but there's around 3,000 points or so, from a rough calculation.

Army Leader (Matching foot and mounted models) 

Wizard on Cold one

Wizard, with 2 bodyguards - This was actually the first figure I painted for the entire army, hence the different base. I never intended to make an army, just liked the model, so painted it, and then started buying more on eBay.  

Wizard - Seems to lack much in the way of facial details, but, as with a lot of these old figures, the moulds must have been used until they fell apart. As they're not worth much, I doubt it's a recast. 

Standard Bearer on Temple Dog - This is a conversion of a foot model, but I love the Temple Dog model, and just modified it slightly so it's rearing up on it's rear legs. 

Assassin - This is actually the old Wood Elf Boar handler, but I really liked the model. Incidentally, it was this exact model that was inked and used in photography for one of the early 90's Citadel catalogues. It's been sat around in my collection for that long! 

5 Helldrakes - Old figures, using newer Lizardmen shields. 

8 Doomdrakes - Pretty straightforward, but the centre two figures are infantry conversions. 

10 Doomsteeds - Mainly Melnibonean cavalry, led by a Dragon Master, with a few High Elves mixed in as I couldn't get any more of the Cavalry. If anyone's got any let me know. 

5 Dark Riders - More Melniboneans. I love these models, and could do with some more. 

10 Shadows - Marauder Scouts. Again, I just love the faces on these models. 

20 Crossbowmen - The last unit to be finished, with only a couple of model variants. Not great models, but they look ok ranked up. 

Mengil Manhide's Manflayers - 16 Warriors - More classic Citadel models, I love the facial expression on Mengil. The Shields are Foundry, and look like stretched skin, so they work quite well. 

25 Warriors - These are Marauder models, and though I like them, they're possibly some of the worst figures in the history of Citadel Miniatures for ranking up together. 

10 Witch Elves - These are the earlier Marauder versions, rather than the later ones that look like drag queens. 

1 Whelp Master with 5 Chaos Hounds - Quite pleased with how these turned out, in particular the 'skinned' dog, that I used the new GW technical blood paint on, it worked really well. 

1 Whelp Master with Hydra - Another Marauder model, and the only female model with it's tits out, which I did for the sheer hell of it. 


3 Repeating Bolt Throwers - Fitted to custom bases, so the figures can be removed if needed. 

So, there you have it, possibly my largest project to date. Not sure what to move on to now, possibly my Horus Heresy Death Guard, or even back to the point of this blog, my Port Imperiale terrain/background project!


Now, anyone got any jobs going?

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant mate! Puts my Norse to shame...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the look of this army, and it has given me inspiration to make a start on collecting a Nurgle force for 3rd Edition.

    Consider this site bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. A beautiful classic army! Congratulations, it's spectacular! Love everything. Love the Melnibonean-looking cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great job! Quite an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstandingly beautiful and awe-inspiring Dark Elf army!!! What a joy to look/gawk at! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smashing stuff, puts mine to shame. I'm developing abit of a soft spot for mono pose units.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful army with flair and character.

    Congratulations on your completion. That is something to be very proud of.

    ReplyDelete